Thursday, August 10, 2006

Day 2 - Crinkle Crags


Distance: 14 miles
Time: A long time




Above is a video showing a 3d Rendering of the route.

Click any picture to see a larger version.

On the second day of my time in the lakes I did the walk that I had gone there for, to walk Crinkle Crags. It was the name that originally jumped out at me, then when I saw pictures and read more I decided I had to walk it.

From Camp site looking at Langdale Pikes in distance

My day started very early, well the day before never really ended. Previous post mentioned more. I started sorting my gear out just before 6:30 and set off at 6:45. I was trying to make as little noise as possible because no one was up. I realised later that I had forgot a few things (chocolate, cereal bars and isotonic drink). I filled up my camelbak with water and set off.

One of the problems with not getting in the campsite I was intending to use, was that now I was 3 miles further away (6 miles added to my route). While Iw as walking along the road towards the foot of Langdale Pikes a fox ran across the road, jumped onto the wall and ran along it towards me. It then jumped off the wall and ran over the field. By the time I got my camera out it was too far away.

I decided before even setting off for the lakes that I was going to take my time, walking and just generally relax. I tend to rush everything (well not everything).

So I walked fairly slowly along the road enjoying the scenery and taking pictures. None of the pictures do it justice. The views were amazing even more so than usual due to the light changing so much, sun then cloud, then rain, then sun again.

Langdale Pikes from the road

I called in at the car park at the foot of Langdale Pikes to use the toilets, there was no one in site here either.

Crinkle Crags straight ahead

I then continued on to the end of the normal road, to where my walk was originally to start from with Crinkle Crags straight ahead of me. I wont give commentary on the entire walk. A couple of miles further on I started to feel quite dizzy and my version was blurring and just felt very weak. Iw as waslking up probably the steepest part of the walk. Normally though this wouldn't of really bothered me or not to this extent. I decided it must be because I hdn't had any decent food for over a day, just a sausage roll the day before and a tiny bowl of cereal before setting off for the walk. This is when I realised I had left the chocolate and cereal bars in the cool box in the car (oops). I did remember to make 4 sandwiches but I wouldn't let myself eat them until I got a bit higher. Well I am stubborn and often stupid but also wasn't gonna give up, so I sat down for a couple of minutes. The set a point on the map where I would allow myself to stop to eat a sandwich. It wasn't too far but felt it, yes I know this was probably stupid I could of passed out and no one would of known.

I ploughed on, although slower than usual. Then stopped behind a rock not far from Red Tarn, where it had flattened out. I allowed myself to eat a couple of sandwiches, it was only just after 9am which is why I was so reluctant to eat them. I sat a couple of minutes and did feel better but still not completely normal but that could of been due to no sleep the previous night as well.

Crinkle Crags appearing like the back of a dinosaur

After about another 10 minutes I pulled around and felt a lot better. It was very windy up here and could see the clouds closing in, then the rain started. I quickly got out my waterproof coat and carried on. The water was pouring off the coat and soaking my tracksuit bottoms so got out my waterproof trousers. I hate wearing them as they restrict movement and they always end up wet on the inside from sweat anyway but my legs were suddenly nice and warm with them protecting me from the wind.

I was now almost at the foot of the first Crinkle. The rain was still tossing down and I was thinking is this safe to be clambering over the Crinkles in this weather on my own. I decided to push on anyway and clambered over the first one, it was wild on top. I eventually got to a crinkle with a more or less vertical face. I thought this must be the bad step and looked at it but was unsure if it was or not. I hadn't looked at the pictures of it for a few weeks and couldn't remember. I contemplated climbing it for a few minutes but really wasn't sure if this was it or if I was going to try to climb something that was a lot harder than I thought. I decided that it was probably a bad idea when I was unsure and I was alone and still tossing it down. Relunctantly I decided I would walk around the side and the rain stopped and the sun came out, although it was still very windy. I found another route up and doubled back to get to the cairns on the top. I realised that it must of been the bad step I had been looking at but I probably made the right decision in the circumstances, although pissed off now. I will have to go back and do it again!!

(Above) Scafell and Scafell Pike in cloud

Cloud approaching over the Cairns on the top of Crinkle Crags

I sat on the top and ate another sandwich and took some more photos while watching the clouds moving over the tops of Scafell and Scafell Pike. I had to make a decision of where I was going to go after I finished the Crinkles. Originally I planned to walk over Bow Fell and on to Angle Tarn then down the Cumbria Way this was before I had an extra 6 miles to walk. I decided I would walk to the bottom of Bow Fell before deciding. I carried on and when I got there I ate my last sandwich and realised that if I was spending all this time thinking about it and not just doing it, then it was probably a bad I dea. So I cut down Earing Crag and headed back, I had already done 8.5 miles at this point. I worked out while I had sat there that it would made my trip about 18 miles roughly. The distance would of been fine but not the best idea when feeling the way I had and with no more food.

Bowfell

On the way down I decided I was going to pack up my tent and go back home as didn't relish a night spent sleeping in the car. I had done what I went there to do, altohugh unfortunately not with Bow Fell. The last 3 miles felt like an eternity along the road, I did think about calling in at the pub at the foot on the Langdales for some dinner but decided I would save the money and eat something at the car before driving home.

Once back to the car I ate a sausage roll and then packed up the tent. When I had been walking along the road to the camp site it had been very hot, sunny and calm. The moment I got to the camp site it was blowing a gale. It must be like a funnel for the wind the way the valley was shaped. I pretty much threw everything in the car and set off for home. Having enjoyed the walk over Crinkle Crags other than the short dizzy spell.

I learnt some important lessons, mainly make sure you eat plently of food and don't rush preparing your gear. I think it also a good idea not to tackle something that could potentially be dangerous in the conditions I was in, so I made one good judgement. A good nights sleep is also something that is desirable!!

Below are a few more pictures (best when full size)...
For even more pictures I have just added them all to my Picasa Web Album.

(Above) ridge in the centre is where I descended, maybe called Buscoe?

(Above) view up the valley after starting the climb

(Above) View from Crinkle Crags looking down the valley (my favourite)

(Above) Cloud enveloping Scafell and Scafell Pike, heading my way

Cloud wisping around behind me on top of the Crinkles

No comments: