Sunday, March 23, 2008

chilled weekend

I've done nothing this weekend, Friday I was supposed to be going to the Lakes to walk Bowfell, Scafell Pike & Sca fell but my partner in crime is/was ill and there was gail force winds. So I went nowhere and have been nowhere since.

All I've done is watch, films browse the web and listen to music. Haven't even watched any TV. I have done a little bit of work on my walking website. Although I have come to the conclusion I need to do masses of reading. I need to properly read up on PHP, Javascript, MySQL, XML, CSS and the Google Maps API. I have dabbled with all of these at some point but need to know a lot more for this project.

I realised last week that I learn best visually and by hands on messing around with things, seeing how stuff works. I get bored quickly reading computer books and tend to jump ahead. Looking back I have alway been like this with everything I do. I lose interest quickly if anything drags on. I need quick fixes or rewards to keep my concentration. Although I learn very quickly, maybe its because I miss out the waffle when learning stuff?

One thing I don't normally do is work very well with structure or plans. I create them but find it incredibly hard to stick to them. Its them same with the lists and aims I've created on this blog many times before, I rarely complete any. I start at a pace then very quickly become fed up and move onto the next thing.

I need to figure out how not to do that with my website project, I have been thinking about doing this for ages and want to actually finish it or at least get it to where I am happy with it. But how do I do that?

I mentioned above all the things I need to learn more about, but know if I set off reading a book on each one at a time. I will be sick by the time I get half way through the first, with my mind wandering to knew ideas for the site. I guess I probably already answered my own question. I probably have to learn by hands on, looking up the things I need to know for the task I'm trying to do. This often feels like I'm going around the houses to find out how to do a simple task because I haven't got full knowledge in the language.

I'm rambling once again, just really want my website project to succeed, putting off starting because I don't know where to start :-(

No comments: